My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Random thoughts after reading Simone St. James’ Lost Among the Living, a book listed on 50 Most Suspenseful Novels:
1. Who makes these lists???????
2. Why am I sucker for such lists??????
3. If you are going to introduce the supernatural in a mystery, take some tips from John Dickson Carr. To use it as deux ex machina is pathetic.
4. The protagonist is madly in love with her husband but at the first whiff of suspicion, the missing spouse is suspected of not only being a traitor but also a murderer!!!! Is this what love is all about?
5. The protagonist feel betrayed as certain things were not revealed to her and is unforgiving about the whole issue but in the course of the same conversation she says that if the things were such great secrets than she she should have been kept in the dark even now. Make up your mind, woman.
6. Two stars (rather than one) because I liked Cora and Martin and hope they live happily ever after.
First Line: By the time we left Calais, I thought perhaps I hated Dottie Forsyth.